lunedì 27 gennaio 2014

Scones!


Scones are probably my favorite North American treats (they are originally from Scotland, though)! I discovered those delicious pastries when I came to Canada and it was love at first...bite :) For those guys who do not know, scones are mildly sweet pastries (something between sablee and brioches), which were originally served during tea time with butter and jam. Personally, I prefer the "plain" version, but, trust me, you won't regret a bit of butter and jam on top. 
If you come to Ottawa and you are crazy about scones, you should try The Scone Witches that has a great assortment of sweet and savory freshly backed scone. Other places I like for scones are the Tea Store in the Byward Market and the pastry shop Three Tarts on Wellington West. If you have more places to add, feel free and I will sacrifice myself to test them! :D
And today, I have just discovered that baking scones is easy! In less than one hour I had my scones ready! The recipe comes from Il Cucchiaio d'Argento (with my modification, though) and it is really simple, for basic scones. Next time, I will probably add more ingredients such as nuts, raisin or other dried fruits, and, why not, maple syrup? 

Scones

-250 g of white (unbleached) flour
-160 g of butter
-40 g of sugar
-2 eggs
-8 g of backing powder
-a pinch of salt
-3 table spoons of water

Cut the butter in small pieces and let them soften at room temperature. Mix the flour, the sugar, the salt and the backing powder. Add the eggs, the water and the butter. Knead the ingredients quickly till you get a homogeneous dough. Spread the dough with a rolling pin, so that thickness will be 2.5-3 cm. Cut the dough in the shape you like (you can also make little buns with your hands) and bake the scones for 20-25 min at 180 C.

 
Scones

-250 g di farina bianca
-160 g di burro
-40 g di zucchero
-2 uova
-8 g di lievito per dolci
-un pizzico di sale
-3 cucchiai d'acqua

Tagliare il burro a pezzetti e fateli ammorbidire a temperatura ambiente. Mescolare la farina, lo zucchero, il sale e il lievito. Aggiungere le uova, l'acqua e il burro. Impastare velocemente gli ingredienti fino ad ottenere un impasto uniforme. Stendere la pasta con un mattarello, in modo che lo spessore sia 2.5-3 cm. Tagliare la pasta nelle forme preferite (si può anche fare piccoli panini con le mani) e cuocere gli scones per 20-25 min a 180 C.

Nessun commento: